(NewsBreakDaily.org) – Over the past couple of weeks, there’s been a growing bipartisan cry for sensible police reform in this country. On Wednesday, the Senate Republicans revealed their plan in a new bill, Just and Unifying Solutions To Invigorate Communities Everywhere (JUSTICE) Act, that’s slated for a vote in the upper chamber sometime next week.
The GOP bill includes:
- Penalties when officers don’t use their body cameras
- Disincentivization for the use of chokeholds
- Reporting required for all no-knock warrants
- New requirements for reporting the use of force by officers
- Increasing penalties for false police reports
- Naming lynching as a federal crime
- Increasing funding for police departments
- No change to qualified immunity
House Democrats weren’t satisfied with the Republican plan, saying it didn’t go nearly far enough. Shocker, right?
They unveiled their own plan last week, which included a ban on chokeholds and no-knock warrants and an end to absolute qualified immunity. They also want no new funding for police departments.
While both sides say they want police reform, it looks like we’re in for an epic battle over the next two weeks. The question is, will the Democrats for once put the country first and compromise with Republicans to get this done? Don’t hold your breath on that one.
Copyright 2020, NewsBreakDaily.org